The IIRP Graduate School uses American Psychological Association (APA) writing style for presenting ideas and data, formatting papers, and citing sources in student assignments and scholarly publications. APA is the most widely-used style guide for academic writing in the social sciences.
Download the IIRP Graduate School Writing & APA Style Guidelines (PDF). This guide is illustrated with examples of references from the literature of restorative practices. It covers the most frequently sought APA-related style topics requested by IIRP students, faculty and staff, and includes file-naming guidelines for student assignments.
The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Sixth Edition is the definitive resource for APA writing and reference style; a must-have for all students and scholars in the social sciences. We highly recommend that you obtain this essential item from the bookseller of your choice. | Table of Contents (PDF)
- Print edition available from: American Psychological Association | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
- E-book edition available from: VitalSource | RedShelf (USA only)
- Amazon Kindle versions available at these international sites: Australia | Canada | Brazil | France | Germany | India | Japan | Mexico | Netherlands | United Kingdom
Basics of APA Style (video tutorial - 23 minutes): This useful video tutorial for beginners covers formatting papers, citation and reference formats, using headings and avoiding language bias in scholarly writing. (Note: Flash Player must be enabled in your browser.)
Purdue University OWL - APA Style Guide (includes detailed instructions with many examples):
- APA Overview & Workshop provides a general introduction for people unfamiliar with APA
- Formatting & Style Guide shows how to format papers and provides detailed reference/citation examples.
- Purdue OWL's YouTube video playlist also has short tutorials.
APA Style Blog: APA in-house editors provide practical advice on a wide array of paper formatting and writing style topics, including unusual and esoteric questions not addressed elsewhere. Search by individual subject or broad category, and submit your own questions. Updated weekly.
Learning APA Style: APA-curated collection of free online learning tools and FAQs on writing and formatting.