The IIRP Graduate School uses the latest edition of American Psychological Association (APA) writing style, or APA Style, for presenting ideas and data, formatting papers, and citing sources in student assignments and scholarly publications. APA Style is the most widely-used framework for academic writing in the social sciences.
Download the IIRP Graduate School Writing & APA Style Guidelines (PDF). This guide is illustrated with examples of references from the literature of restorative practices. It covers the most frequently-asked APA-related style topics requested by IIRP students, faculty and staff, and includes file-naming guidelines for student assignments.
The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Seventh Edition is the definitive resource for APA writing, citaton and paper formatting style; a must-have for all students and scholars in the social sciences. We highly recommend that you obtain this essential item from the bookseller of your choice. | Introduction (PDF)
- Print editions available from American Psychological Association and most major online retailers (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Foyles, etc.) | E-book editions available from VitalSource and RedShelf
Resources from APA
Online tutorial: Basics of 7th edition APA Style. Self-paced learning modules cover key components of APA Style.
APA Style and Grammar Guidelines: Information and examples for the most commonly-used elements of APA Style, including:
- Paper format | Student paper set-up guide | Sample papers - Student & Professional
- Grammar | Bias-free language | Tables & figures
- In-text citations | References | Research & publication
- Mechanics of style, including Punctuation | Spelling & hyphenation | Capitalization | Numbers
- Italics & quotation marks | Abbreviations | Lists
- Journal Article Reporting Standards (JARS)
Checklists, quick guides and templates for paper formatting, citations and references, and mechanics of style.
APA Style Blog: APA in-house editors provide practical advice and in-depth insights on a wide array of formatting, referencing and writing style subjects. Submit your own questions on various blog topics.
Purdue University OWL - APA Style Guide
- APA Overview & Workshop provides a general introduction for people unfamiliar with APA
- Formatting & Style Guide shows how to format papers and provides detailed reference/citation examples.