“Restoring Relationships: What churches can learn from restorative justice” – Christianity Today's Paul Pastor presents a lengthy interview with Bruce Schenk, director of IIRP Canada.
IIRP Europe welcomes Dóra Szegő as Assistant Director for Central and Eastern Europe.•
• Call for Presenters: Offer a session at IIRP's 17th World Conference.
• Martin Wright reviews Margaret Murray's Forging Justice: A Restorative Justice Mystery.
• The National Opportunity to Learn Campaign offers a free toolkit, "Restorative Practices: Fostering Healthy Relationships & Promoting Positive Discipline in Schools.”
• The Syracuse, New York, school boards explains why they're turning to restorative practices.
• The New York Times defends its editorial saying that race directly affects how students are disciplined in schools.
• The Gay-Straight Alliance calls on clubs to demand that their school districts adopt restorative practices.
• The state of Minnesota passes a Safe & Supportive Minnesota Schools Act that directs school districts to develop policies that prevent bullying, and to train school staff in restorative practices.
• Restorative discipline at a San Antonio middle school led to an 84% reduction in out-of-school suspensions according to a University of Texas-San Antonio lecturer.
• A University of Minnesota research report demonstrates the positive impact of restorative conferencing for students who were facing expulsion at Minneapolis Public Schools.
• The Advancement Project and Padres and Jovenes Unidos analyzed data from all 179 school districts in Colorado to track the impact of a state law passed in 2012 that limited the use of zero-tolerance discipline policies in schools and emphasized restorative practices.
• Research from the New Zealand Minstry of Justice demonstrates a 12% percent reduction in recidivism with restorative justice.
• A rape victim talks about meeting her rapist: “I walked into that room a victim, and I walked out a survivor.” Criminologist Heather Strang also appears in the video segment. Read more.
participated in a restorative conference as part of the criminal justice process.• An elderly driver's whose brief lapse killed a biker
• A restorative conference in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, helped resolve an incident of a man overreacting when he received a parking ticket.
• The 8th International Conference of the European Forum for Restorative Justice will take place in Belfast this June.
• The National School Climate Center Summer Institute includes a presentation by IIRP President Ted Wachtel.