To empower others, it is essential to learn how to listen.
Expert listeners are not passive. They are strategic, structured and purposeful in how they engage others. Listening is a skill that can be learned, and this event will help you gain proficiency in how to listen.
Motivational interviewing (MI) is a collaborative, research-based dialogue process that strengthens the motivation for change in people you support. This interactive event will help you learn how to bring awareness to individuals about the discrepancy between their current behavior and their future goals. You will learn how to empower them to make meaningful life changes.
MI grew out of addictions treatment, but it has also demonstrated effectiveness in the fields of criminal justice, education, organizational management and the healthcare industry. MI is particularly effective with individuals who are non-compliant and resistant to making changes. Understanding the “Stages of Change” as outlined in MI will help practitioners develop strategies to support individuals in identifying and achieving their goals or developing new ones.
You will learn how to:
- Create dialogue with a range of individuals and families, identifying current behavior and future goals.
- Help individuals overcome internal resistance to change.
- Engage and empower people to make meaningful changes, employing Motivational Interviewing.
- Focus on “Change Talk” and “the Stages of Change” to help people identify and achieve their goals.
- Increase motivation, empowering people to move thorough the change process.
Earn Continuing Education Credit
Professional associations have approved this for Continuing Education Credit.
- National Association of Social Workers: Category: Social Work, 12 CEU hours, Approval #886656845
- Michigan Social Work Continuing Education Collaborative: 12 CEU hours, Approval #MICEC 031617
- NASW-PA Chapter: 14 CEU hours
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Act 48 Approved Provider: 12 CEU hours
Most states permit individual school districts to determine the value of continuing education units. Let us know if you need additional information.